Earlier this month, the Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) approved an unidentified Nevada sports book’s request to take bets on the draft. This allowed all of the state’s sports books and Nevada sports betting apps to offer prop bets on the NFL draft.
Nevada sports books offering variety of prop bets
No, you cannot bet on who the Cleveland Browns will take with the number one overall pick this year. But yes, you can bet on a number of propositions, including:
- The total number of quarterbacks, wide receivers, or running backs drafted in the first round or an over/under on the same
- If more offensive players or defensive players will be selected in the first round
- When the first kicker will be taken
- The total number of players selected from a particular college or conference in the first round or overall
- The over/under on the number of players selected from a particular college or conference in the first round
- Which college or conference will have more players selected in the first round or overall
- Whether more players will be drafted from a particular college or conference than another, in the first round or the entire draft
NGCB wants to ensure betting does not influence the draft outcome. Therefore, sports books will not accept NFL Draft wagers after the close of business for sports books on April 26, 2017. This is the night before the Draft begins.
The NFL draft is schedule to begin April 27 and run through April 29 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
NFL draft: Gonna Fly Now
This year is the first time the draft will be held outdoors. The event will take place in an outdoor theater built on the Rocky Steps. These iconic stone steps sit at the entrance to the Philadelphia Museum of Art at Eakins Oval. They became known as the Rocky Steps when they appeared in the Oscar-winning film Rocky and several sequels.
Every year, hundreds of thousands of tourists recreate the famous scene where Rocky runs up the steps to the song Gonna Fly Now. Climbing the steps has come to symbolize the plight of underdogs from all walks of life.
This year’s NFL draft will be the league’s 82nd and include 253 total selections over seven rounds.
Last April the Auditorium Theater at Grant Park in Chicago, Illinois hosted the NFL draft.
Of the 253 players selected, only one was a placekicker. Of the players chosen, there were 33 wide receivers, 20 running backs, and 15 quarterbacks. The Los Angeles Rams took quarterback Jared Goff from California with the first overall pick.
Off-the-field wagers increasing
The number of off-the-field wagers placed at Nevada sports books has increased over the past few years.
NGCB has given sports books permission to take bets on the the winner of the Heisman Trophy as well as Major League Baseball’s MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year and Manager of the Year awards. It also approved bets on NFL’s Super Bowl MVP and the National Hockey League’s Conn Smythe Trophy for the league’s most valuable player.
Image courtesy of Debby Wong / Shutterstock.com